Dear DuVall Families,
Many thanks to Joyce Dunlap and all of her volunteers for facilitating Book Bingo last Tuesday. Once again, our children had a great time! If anyone is interested in taking over Book Bingo next year please let me know. You can talk to Joyce Dunlap if you have specific questions.
Many thanks to Lauren Schuchert for organizing and facilitating Tea with a Twist. Thank you, Ms. Mendez, for leading us in our painting project. We appreciate all of the donations, volunteers, and support from all of our families that were able to give of their time, contribute, and/or attend. It was a great event and a fabulous time for all! It was so nice that so many of our boy moms volunteered so the moms with daughters could enjoy this event together.
Recently MLive put our school grades. DuVall received an A! Our lowest grade was in student attendance, which scored significantly below average. PLEASE, make sure your child is coming to school if at all possible. Truly, their future depends on their education. We all want them to be successful and coming to school is where we start. More information on our school grade will be shared at Tuesday’s Parent Education Meeting.
Tuesday is our Parent Education Meeting at 9:10 in the Media Center. Our topic is “DuVall’s School Improvement Plan” We encourage you to come! Every parent that comes will receive a Penguin Point for their child(ren) and be entered into a raffle. The prizes will be gift cards. Coffee and donuts will also be served. We hope to see many of your smiling faces at this meeting!
Wednesday is Pajama Day. This is the only special dress day in the year that we charge $1.00 to participate. The money collected will benefit the Dearborn Education Foundation. Please try and support this cause.
Thursday is Heart Awareness Day at DuVall. In honor of those who have fought heart disease, including one of our own students, we ask that everyone wear red on Thursday.
This week’s notes:
- PLEASE put a change of clothes in your child’s backpack, especially grades K-3.
- Students must wear snow boots and snow pants when it is wet and snowy outside. If they don’t they must stay on the blacktop areas of the playground.
- Please remind your children they are not allowed to throw snowballs at school. We are reminding them as well.
- We still have class shirts available. The cost is $7.25 and are available in the office. We ask students wear these on all field trips. We have a few donated, used shirts in the office. If you are unable to purchase one you can inquire in the office to see if your child’s size and grade shirt are available.
- To purchase a yearbook, go to: https://ybpay.lifetouch.com/order/Lookupjob?jobnumber=14536124 The cost is $13.00.
- Tuesday, Feb. 27 – No School – Voting Day – We encourage all our families to go out and vote. The Operating Millage Renewal is on the ballot. The Operational Millage is part of the General Fund, which is used for daily operations. This funding pays for staff, utility bills, classroom supplies, busing, etc. This NOT A BOND proposal. This would not fund any major school construction or renovation projects.
- 2024 Martian Marathon – 12:00 pm ~ April 13, 2024 @ Ford Field, Dearborn Group Registration Instructions: LINK: https://runningfitevents.redpodium.com/2024-martian-invasion-of-races Select “I am here to register as a group participant” TEAM NAME: DuVall – Blue Wave 12:00 TEAM PASSWORD: PENGUINS24 Continue on with registration. You must select team name and enter password. The kids’ race is already discounted to $23 (thru March 4) so no coupon code is needed. If you would like to extend the invitation to your school community we are offering a school discount code. March 5 the price goes up to $26. Please note there are processing fees.
- Martian Marathon Underground Printing T-Shirt Design Contest: Once again our screen printer Underground Printing will be offering this awesome contest for the kids! UGP invites children 12 and under to submit an original drawing to be used in the design for the front of the 2024 Martian Kids’ Marathon shirt! Check out all the details here: https://martianraces.com/images/2024/Martian_2024_Kids_Shirt_Contest.pdf
- We are still in need of noon hour supervisors. This is a paid position. If you are interested, please contact the office.
- February 15-17 at Little Caesar’s Arena is Disney on Ice. If you are attending, please order your tickets through this link: WWW.313PROMOS.COM/DUVALL For every ticket purchased through this special fundraiser promotion, a portion of the proceeds will go directly towards benefiting DuVall Elementary School. It’s a win-win situation – you get to enjoy a spectacular show, and the students of DuVall Elementary receive the support. Gather your friends and invite your neighbors to make a difference while having an enchanting experience at Disney on Ice with 313 Presents! Questions contact Dana at 313.471.3287 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Tickets make a great gift!
|This Week’s Schedule
|Lunch First Choice
|Lunch Second Choice
|7:45 Art Club
9:30 African American artist, inventors and musicians Assembly
|Sunbutter & Jelly
|7:45 Mrs. Morrison Tutoring
8:00 Math Club, room 202
9:10 Parent Education Meeting, Media Center
5th grade band & strings
2:25 Early Release
|Crispy Chicken Salad
|Pajama Day – $1.00 to benefit the Dearborn Education Foundation
7:45 Mrs. Morrison Tutoring
8:00 Music Club, Room 111
8:00 Penguin Players, Room 204
4:10 Chess match at DuVall vs. Howard
6:30 PTA meeting, Media Center and Zoom
|Chicken Patty Sandwich
|Veggie Ranch Wrap
|Heart Awareness Day – wear red
7:45 Mrs. Morrison Tutoring
8:00 Chess Club
1:45 Lockdown Drill
7:45 Running Club
4:00 Doodle Club
|Spaghetti & Meatballs
|Sunbutter & Jelly
February 14: Parent Book Club, Media Center 9:10
February 19: No school – Mid-Winter Break
February 21: Mobile Dentist
February 22: Founders Day
February 27: No school for students – All teachers – professional development day
February 29: Donuts & Grown-ups
March 5: Parent Education Meeting, Student Health
March 9: Shamrock Shuffle
March 13: PTA Meeting 6:30, Media Center and Zoom
March: Literacy Day
March: Book Fair
March 25-29, No school – Spring Break