Dear DuVall Families<
October has been a busy month and this week is no different. We have picture day on Monday, Halloween on Tuesday, before and after school activities throughout the week, and Popcorn Day on Friday. Wrapping up October also means we are finishing up our Penguin Practice of Responsibility. We will continue to teach kindness (September’s Penguin Practice) and responsibility throughout the year. For November we add Gratitude. November is generally known to be the month of being thankful. To show our gratitude for what we have, we will be participating in the Battle Against Hunger. This is an annual event where all three high schools compete to collect the most nonperishable goods. Our donations will be part of Edsel Ford’s collection. Food collected will go to Zaman International. This organization has helped many of our students in the past. Our goal is 100 cans per classroom. The class with the most cans (as long as it is over 100) will win a pizza party. We will be collecting food the week of November 13th.
- Halloween, October 31st – Lunch changes & Trunk or Treat schedule
- K: 11:30-12:11:50 recess, 11:50-12:10 cafeteria
- 1-2: 11:30-11:50 cafeteria, 11:50-12:10 recess
- ⅔-3: 12:20-12:40 cafeteria, 12:40-1:00 recess
- 4-5: 12:20-12:40 recess, 12:40-1:00 cafeteria
- 1:00 kindergarten begins the parade, followed by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Preschool will skip the parade and come out for Trunk or Treat only after 5th grade.Leave for the parade out of the front door, walk down Francis, and around the block. Enter the playground on Beech. Class picture in front of the brick wall under the 2nd floor windows, go to Trunk or Treat and come back into the building.
- November is National Diabetes Month. DuVall will recognize this day on November 8th. Please wear blue. We have two penguins and an adopted penguin who fight diabetes everyday.
- Please fill out the Parent Education meeting survey for me. This will assist me in determining topics for this year’s parent ed. meetings. You can access the link by clicking on this link: https://forms.gle/hvRWTzgYMyZYmsB19 Please complete this survey by November 3rd.
- Many of our parents have different last names than their children. When emailing me, please let me know who your child is so I know who I am responding to. Thank you
- Our Lost and Found is very full. This time of year, students wear their coats outside, take them off and forget them on the bench. If your child is missing anything, please come and look through our Lost and Found.
- We have over a dozen students that have been absent 15% or more of the school year so far. This number is increasing everyday. As winter colds and illness start this number will continue to rise. PLEASE do not allow your student to stay home for any reason other than sickness.
- Monday is the last day to turn in order forms for the class shirts. These are being sold at cost because we would like students to wear them on field trips, field day, Park & Pool, etc. It makes it easier to keep everyone together.
- We came in third for the Walk N’Roll. However, we were first in percentage of students participating! This means one of our students will win a brand new bike! We had a student win last year as well. The drawing will be done by Dr. Lazar, who runs this program for the district. I will let you know the winner, hopefully in next week’s email.
- 5th grade parents: Every November Election the 5th grade parents and students have a bake sale. This is a fundraiser is for their 5th grade water park trip and their promotion ceremony at the end of the year. We would really appreciate volunteers and donations! Please sign-up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0845AFA92BA1F4CF8-45611741-bake
- Fifth grade instrumental students will begin the week of November 6th. However, our classes are on Tuesdays and there is no school on the 7th due to it being electionday. Therefore, our students will begin on November 14th.
|Date||Week’s Schedule||Lunch First Choice||Lunch Second Choice||Watch D.O.G.S.|
Class shirts orders due
7:45 Art Club, Room 101
|Chicken Nuggets||Peach Parfait|
|Tuesday||Halloween – see schedule in the above section|
2:25 Early Release
|Mummy Pizza||Chicken Ranch Wrap|
|Wednesday||8:00 Music Club, room 111|
4:00 Penguin Players, room 204
|Nachos & Cheese||Sunbutter & Jelly||Mr. McLemoreSebastian (Ross)|
|Thursday||Fish Sticks||Veggie Wrap|
7:45-8:15 Running Club
|Chicken Parmesan Sub||Turkey & Cheese Deli Sliders|
October 31: Halloween Parade & Trunk or Treat
November 3: Book Bingo
November 7: No school for students – All teachers – professional development day, PTA Bake Sale which benefits 5th grade students and their water park trip
November 8: PTA Meeting 6:30, Media Center and Zoom
November 14: Parent Teacher Conferences, 2:30-8:30
November 15: Parent Teacher Conferences, 4:00-7:00
November 22: No school – Conference release day
November 23-24: No school – Thanksgiving
Have a great week!