Dear DuVall Families,
Thank you to everyone who volunteered at Book Bingo. A special thank you to Joyce Dunlap for organizing the event. Many thanks to all of the families that attended. Thank you to all of our families that supported out students at last week’s chess match and the City Art Show opening. We are so lucky to have such a supportive community. Thank you for always being there for our kids.
This week, March 13-17 is going to be a challenging week. Line-up will be indoors all week due to construction. Students will be able to enter through doors 1 (beginning at 8:35) and 5 (beginning at 8:50) only. Students should not enter school from the playground at all. Please remember all drop-off should be on Francis anyway. Teachers will be given specific directions for recess and dismissal will be on Francis through doors 4 & 5. Our kindergarten, first grades, and second grade will exit through door 4. 2/3 split, 3rd grade, 4th and 5th grades will exit through door 5. Kids Club will be using door 5 both in the morning and after school. Parents will need to call to be let in at 313-236-0639.
As you know, our DuVall message is “Be Kind!” There are so many ways to be kind. To give you one more way of showing kindness, in the office you will see two containers on the counter. In the containers are small notes for you to fill out for your child and/or staff. Writing a note can lift someone’s day and put a smile on someone’s face. Whenever you come in take a minute to jot a note to your child or a staff member. Give the note to Ms. Bobbie or put it in the teacher’s mailbox. Teachers will deliver any notes you leave for your child. Depending on teacher schedules, notes may not be delivered until the next day. Thank you for helping us promote kindness!
This week’s notes:
- March is MS Awareness Month. To show our support to a staff member who has MS, two staff members that lost their mom to MS, and all other affected by this terrible disease, we will be wearing orange on Wednesday. We hope many of our students participate.
- Ms. Kim’s last day at DuVall is Friday. Please stop by this week to wish her well or send her an email of thanks and good wishes at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are excited to announce the opportunity for our 4th-5th grade students to join the district Virtual Coding Club. The Coding Club allows students to be creative, learn coding skills, problem-solving skills, learn how to collaborate and work in a team, and build projects using programs such as code.org. The deadline for the application is Friday, March 17th. Students can apply for the program by filling out this Google form. Students will be notified if they have been accepted or not via email by Wednesday, March 22nd. The Coding Club will take place on Zoom on Tuesdays and Thursdays from: 4:15-5:15 – 4th-grade cohort, 5:15-6:15 – 5th-grade cohort
- The last Doodle Club will be on Friday, March 24. We are rescheduling due to last week’s snow that canceled after school activities.
- O.L. Smith Middle Orientation will be May 11, 2023 at 6:00
- Development preschool Open House (Room 107) and Kids Club Open House (cafeteria) are scheduled for Thursday, March 24th, 4:30-6:30 at DuVall. Click here for the fliers. Kindergarten Round-Up is April 27th at 6:00. Dearborn Public School employees receive a 20% discount next year.
- The City -Wide Art Show is going on at the Padzieski Gallery which is inside the Ford Community and Performing Arts Center, 15801 Michigan Ave., Dearborn until April 15. Admission is free. The gallery is open Wednesday to Friday from noon to 6 p.m. and Saturday from noon to 4 p.m. Many of our students have pieces on display. Thank you to Ms. Mendez for all of her hard work with this event.
- U-M is hiring part-time Field Interviewers. Click here for more information.
- Please read the letter from Mrs. Chromicz that is posted on our blog. Click here to view her letter.
- If you signed up for Watch DOGS, please plan on joining us. With the unexpected snow day on Friday, I didn’t know who had signed up for this week.
- If you would like to meet with any special area teachers that are not in the building during conferences, please email them to arrange an appointment. All of our special area teachers are shared with other buildings. All staff emails can be found at: https://duvall.dearbornschools.org/staff-contacts-and-blogs/
- Book Bingo has been rescheduled for Tuesday, March 21st at 6:00.
Have a good week,
|Day||Activities||1st Choice||2nd Choice||Watch DOGS|
|Monday||National Good Samaritan Day– Read a book about being Kind. |
9:30 PK-2 Animal Assembly
10:30 ⅔-5 Animal Assembly
7:00 Board of Education Meeting
|Chicken Tenders||Southwest Veggie Wrap|
|Tuesday||Pi Day – read a book about math|
Air Quality Check – routine check
8:00 3rd Grade Math Club, Room 202
9:45-11:45 Edsel Ford Feeder Concert, 5th grade
|Wednesday||MS Awareness Day: wear orange|
Wacky Wednesday– Read a book at home in a place you have never read before
Roving Chef, cafeteria 9:30 Grahl 10:00 Press 10:30 Shapas
11:10 Disaster Drill
4:00 5th Grade DuVall Depot
4:00 Chess Match vs. Snow, DuVall cafeteria
|Chicken Patty Sandwich||Turkey & Cheese Sandwich|
|Thursday||National Panda Day– Read a story about your favorite type of bear. |
8:00 Chess Club
|Cheese Pizza||Crispy Chicken Wrap|
|Friday||St. Patrick’s Day – wear green|
|12:05 Dismissal||No Lunch|
March 23: Care to the Core
March 27- 31, No school – Spring Break
April 7, No school – Good Friday
April 10-14: Book Fair
April 14: DuVall Iftar Dinner
April 12, PTA Meeting 7:00, Media Center and Zoom
April 20-21, No School – Eid Holiday
April 25: Dads & Donuts
April 26, Late Start, start time 10:00