Dear DuVall Families,
Thank you to parents that were able to attend our Parent Meeting last week. We discussed how important it is to discipline our children and not punish them. Discipline is teaching them proper behaviors and punishment is punitive. We want our children to correct their behaviors and not repeat them which is supported by discipline. We also discussed that we are always role models. Even when we don’t think our children are watching they are and they will copy our behaviors and repeat our language. Our Parent Book Club will begin meeting on Wednesday, March 1st. Every parent that registers will receive the book: “How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish We will meet at 9:15 in the cafeteria and 6:00 on Zoom. At our first meeting we will create a calendar for future dates. Please look for a registration note to go home next week.
This week our 5th graders begin the Junior Agent program from the FBI. We have 25 of our 28 students signed-up. The topics being covered are:
- FBI 101 and Program Overview/Student Expectations
- Internet Safety
- Gun Safety
- Evidence (Forensics)
- Physical Fitness
- Formal Graduation Ceremony (parents welcome and encouraged to attend)
Our students are excited, especially to discuss the forensics which includes fingerprinting activities. If you have not signed your 5th grader up and still would like to send in the permission slip by Tuesday.
This week our School Ambassadors have their first meeting. These students are 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders that were selected by their class and teacher who will meet with me twice a month. They will work with me to make DuVall even better! Our Ambassadors will be encouraged to bring new ideas to the group that will correct issues, improve instruction, and create fun and learning events for our school. Their classmates will be able to given them ideas and they will present to their class what was discussed and what the Ambassadors are working on. Congratulations to our new school Ambassadors:
|Morrison||Isla Dowhan, Zach Makled|
|Moon||Abby Berhe, Jack Fillip|
|Alabakoff||Adam Sivako, Johnny Dunlap|
|Courtright||Sofia Abdallah, Addison Linderman|
|Ranka/Talluto||Hussein Chami, Maliya Mahfouz|
Congratulations to our spelling bee winners! Third, Fourth, and Fifth grade students had the opportunity to compete in their class spelling bee in December. The students that placed in the top three of each class then competed in their grade level bee in January. Congratulations to all who participated. Our winners will compete against the entire district at their grade level in March at Fordson High School. If they are unable to attend the first runner-up will represent DuVall.
|Grade||Winner||First Runner-Up||Second Runner-Up|
|Third||Evelyn Pinon||Benjamin Schulte||Bianca Porras & Isla Dowhan|
|Fourth||Selma Beydoun||Morgen Lackey||Livia Lungu|
|Fifth||Maliya Mahfouz||Noor Hammoud||Alexander Boussi|
This week’s notes:
- If you are able to help with the Daddy Daughter Dance or make a donation, please click on this link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0A4FABAF2DA2FB6-daddydaughter Tickets will be sold at the door only. Click here to view the flier.
- Please send a sweater or light jacket for your child to wear in school, especially if they are wearing short sleeves or a thin shirt.
- Francis Street drop-off, please pull as far forward as you can. Students do not need to be dropped off directly in front of the door. Traffic is being blocked down the street because cars are not pulling up.
- It has come to my attention that four parents received $250. tickets because they turned onto Francis during the posted hours. Please be careful. The “no turning” times no longer matches our beginning and ending times, however the signs must be followed because they are legally posted by the police department. I have contacted our district security officer who works closely with the police department, to update these signs. She is working on it. I have reached out in the past without any luck. I am more hopeful this time because of new staff that is in place.
- Our Lost & Found is filling back up. Please have your child check for lost items. Parents are also welcome to look through the bin as long as they check in at the office first.
- Our PTA will be selling new DuVall spirit wear soon. To make room we are selling our current inventory at discounted prices. Sweatpants (youth & adult sizes), coffee mugs, and ornaments are $5.00 each. Adult t-shirts for $10.00, stickers and penguin magnets for $1.00. This is very limited inventory so come to the office soon if you are interested.
PTA Fundraiser: It’s time for you, your friends, and your family to stock up with Little Caesar’s Pizza Kits! Have them on hand for quick dinners, parties, or entertaining!
They’re great to have at home for snow days!
They come with everything you need for a quick and easy pizza fix. With a variety of Pizza, Pizza Bread and even cookies, you will be sure to find a delicious treat.
And it’s completely digital!
Click the link below to order:
Simply send the link and information to family and friends for convenient online ordering with direct shipping to their home!
You can help Duvall PTA earn $6 for each kit sold.
Order yours today!
Have a great week!
This week’s Schedule:
|Day||Activities||1st Choice||2nd Choice||Watch DOGS|
|Monday||Instrumental Class |
11:30 Music Assembly, (3rd, 4th, 5th grades)
|Mac & Cheese||Crispy Chicken Wrap|
|Tuesday||8:00 Math Club, 4th Grade, Room 202|
9:15 Lockdown Drill
1:35 Junior Special Agent Program (5th Grade)
3:35 Student Ambassadors Meeting, (meet in the office)
|French Toast Sticks ||Blueberry Parfait|
|Wednesday||100th Day of School|
8:15 Vivace Singers
4:00 Butterfly & Garden Club
4:00 4th Grade DuVall Depot
6:30 PTA Meeting, Media Center or Click here for the Zoom link
|Spaghetti||Sunbutter & Jelly Sandwich||Jaclyn Noles|
|Thursday||8:00 Chess Club, Room 202|
9:00 & 10:009 GSRP Parent Meeting, Room 109
School Store during lunch
|Cheese Pizza||Tuna Salad|
|Friday||SuperBowl Day: wear your favorite football team’s shirt or colors, college or pro|
Field Trip, Michigan Science Center (Moon, Alabakoff)
4:00 Doodle Club, room 101
6:00 Daddy Daughter Dance
|Bosco Sticks||Buffalo Ranch Chicken Salad|
February 15, Late Start, start time 10:00
February 16, Founders Day
February 17, No school for students – All teachers, professional development day
February 20, No school – Mid-Winter Break
February 24: Moms & Muffins Breakfast
February 28 (tentative date), Coffee with the Principal / Parent Education Meeting 9:00 in the Media Center, 6:00 Zoom
March 8, Late Start, start time 10:00
March 8, PTA Meeting 6:30, Media Center and Zoom
March 10: Book Bingo
March 16: Parent Teacher Conferences 4:00-7:00 p.m. (moved from April 12, 2023)
March 17, Half day – All students a.m., dismissal 12:05; Professional development day p.m.
March 18: Shamrock Shuffle
March 20-24: Book Fair
March 27- 31, No school – Spring Break