Dear DuVall Families,
We had a great first week back. Construction continued while we were off and is going well. Our construction superintendent Patrick McCarthy, attended last week’s PTA meeting and explained all safety precautions that are being taken and answered all questions. DuVall is on schedule and everything is going as planned. Currently Mrs. Shapas, our lobby offices and the teacher’s lounge are relocated to the other areas in the school. All classroom relocation should be completed by the end of spring break. Larger areas of the school, such as the cafeteria, media center, gym, hallways, office, will be completed during the summer months.
Wednesday is our Pancake Dinner. We are looking forward to having this great event back. Everyone is invited to this free event. Come anytime! The event is being held, 6:00-8:00. We need volunteers and some cooking equipment. If you can help out please visit the Signup Genius: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090b4aacaf23a3fb6-pancake?useFullSite=true#/ I’ve heard so many great things about this event and am looking forward to it. School Board Trustee Jim Thorpe and our Director of Technology (and former DuVall principal) Bob Attee are both attending.
The police department has received some complaints about parents not following the drop-off and pick-up procedures. You may have seen we have had more of a police presence and they have told me that tickets will be given out to those not following the traffic rules. The biggest problem is illegal drop-off on Beech and illegal parking on Beech. To review: DuVall has a drop-off and pick-up lane on Francis. In the morning students can enter door 5 and cut through school to the playground. For safety all of our doors are locked at all times, however, Mrs. Chromicz is at door 5 by 8:50 to let students in. On indoor line-up days Mrs. Fakih also let’s students in at door 8 on the playground side of the school. Students should not be dropped off or picked-up at the front of the school. Parents are welcome to legally park and walk to the door or playground. Breakfast is served at 8:35. Students should not arrive before that time because there is no supervision.
Have a great week,
This week’s notes:
- STEM: Admission requirements and procedures should be announced before the end of the month.
- Thursday, March 16th is the confirmed date for spring conferences.
- Preschool, kindergarten, first grade parents: It is helpful if you provide an extra set of clothes in your child’s backpack in case they have an accident, go down a wet slide, get muddy, etc.
- Our office keeps extra clothes on hand for our youngest students in case they do not have extra clothes and need them. We are running out of clothes. If you have any small sizes of clothes that your children have outgrown and are willing to donate them to us, it would be appreciated.
- Our class spelling bee qualifiers will complete in their grade level spelling bees on January 25th.
- Our Talent Show will be April 28th. Thank you, Ms. Rafferty for facilitating this event.
- Our Spring Concerts will be May 3rd (Hughes, Ross, Grahl, Press, Shapas, Morrison) and May 4th (Moon, Alabakoff, Courtright, Ranka/Talluto, and instrumental students).
- A page has been added to our school blog with all of the Watch D.O.G. information.
|Day||Activities||1st Choice||2nd Choice||Watch DOGS|
|Monday||No School – MLK Day||No School||No School|
|Tuesday||8:00 Math Club, 4th Grade, Room 202||Halal Hotdog||Sun butter & Jelly|
|Wednesday||8:15 Vivace Singers|
6:00-8:00 Pancake Dinner
|Baked Rotini||Turkey & Cheese Power Pack||Ed Moore|
|Thursday||8:00 Chess Club, Room 202|
School Store, lunch time
3:55-4:45 4th Grade DuVall Depot
|Cheese Pizza||Crispy Chicken Wrap|
End of 2nd card marking
|12:05 dismissal – no lunch||12:05 dismissal – no lunch||Magaly Gonzales|
January 23, Half Day – All students a.m., dismissal 12:05; Elementary teachers – Professional development day p.m.
January 25, Coffee with the Principal / Parent Education Meeting 9:00 in the Media Center, 6:00 Zoom (Discipline vs. Punishment)
February 8, PTA Meeting 6:30, Media Center and Zoom
February 10: Daddy / Daughter Dance
February 15, Late Start, start time 10:00
February 16, PTA Founders Day
February 17, No school for students – All teachers – professional development day
February 20, No school – Mid-Winter Break
February 23: Moms & Muffins Breakfast
February 28, Coffee with the Principal / Parent Education Meeting 9:00 in the Media Center, 6:00 Zoom (Topic TBD)