Dear DuVall Families,
On Wednesday at 9:10 we will hold a parent meeting in the Media Center for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade parents on M-Step. We will explain expectations for students, the schedule, results, and the Read by Third Grade Law. All questions will be answered as well. Please do your best to attend. I will share the PowerPoint for those not able to attend. You are welcome to email me with questions.
Our first ever Change Challenge will begin on Wednesday, April 12th and run through Wednesday, April 18th. All money earned will be donated to ACCESS to support families in need, In the past, they have helped a number of DuVall families. The Change Challenge works likes this: There will be a box for each classroom teacher. Students put pennies in the boxes to raise their class’s total. They get 1 point for each penny. If students would like to subtract points from other classes, they put in nickels, dimes, quarters, or dollars. A nickel takes 5 points away, a dime takes 10 points away, a quarter takes 25 points away, and a dollar takes 100 points away. At the end of the challenge, on April 19th we will announce the class with the most points. Our school Ambassadors have decided that the winning class will receive an ice cream sundae party. This will be a fun way for our students to show their generosity and kindness to others. These are two of our Penguin Practices.
We have many students that are fasting during Ramadan, especially fourth and fifth graders but students as young as second grade. Some of our students are unfamiliar with the reasons or process that Muslims fast. We have had a couple of inappropriate comments by students who do not understand fasting. To create a community of support we will have an assembly on Wednesday explaining what fasting is and why it is done. This is an educational assembly provided by the Arab-American Museum. Parents are welcome to attend.
This week’s notes:
- Tuesday, April 11th our Girl Scouts will be selling boxes of cookies after school on the playground. Each box costs $4.00.
- Iftar Dinner RSVPs are due no later than Monday. Dinner will be catered from Sahara. Sign-up for donations here.
- Chess Club finished up last week. There is no more chess until next year.
- DuVall’s Got Talent on Friday, April 28th at 6pm! Auditions are next Wednesday, April 12th, 4:00-5:30. Please sign up for auditions HERE. All acts must be 2 minutes or less. Sing, dance, cheer, play an instrument, read a poem, tell jokes…share any special skill you have!
- Students are not allowed to receive Door Dash, Uber Eats, etc. at school.
- Students should only have fast food delivered by a family member on special occasions, such as their birthday. They are not allowed to have daily food brought from outside. You are welcome to pack them something from the outside and they can bring it with them in the morning.
- Our Lost and Found is very full. Please take a look and see if anything belongs to your child. We will donate whatever is in the Lost and Found at the end of the month.
- If you take pictures of your child(ren) participating in the Walk and Roll program, please send them to me.
Happy Easter to all of our families celebrating.
Have a great week!
Walk & Roll begins (participating students are asked to wear their yellow Walk & Roll shirts)
5th grade instrumental classes
|Spaghetti & Meatballs
|Sunbutter & Jelly
|8:00 3rd Grade Math Club, Room 202
9:10 M-Step Parent Meeting
Red Carpet Dress Day
|Scrambled Eggs & Pancakes
|Cat in the Hat Strawberry Parfait
|Change Challenge begins
8:15 Vivace Singers, room 111
8:40 Safety Meeting, Room 202
3:20 Ambassadors, Room 104
4:00 5th Grade DuVall Depot
4:00 Butterfly & Garden Club
4:00 Talent Show auditions
6:30 PTA Meeting
|Tuna Salad Sandwich
|Crazy Hair DaySchool Store
|Southwest Veggie Wrap
|Wear Ramadan shirts or the color green
7:30 Iftar Dinner
|Baja Fish Tacos
|Turkey & Cheese Sandwich
|12:00 Martian Marathon
April 20-21, No School – Eid Holiday
April 25: Dads & Donuts
April 26, Late Start, start time 10:00
May 1, Cipriano Run
May 10, PTA Meeting 6:30, Media Center and Zoom
May 16, District Honor Choir Concert, 7:00 at Stout
May 17, Late Start, start time 10:00
May 23-24, Veterans Baskets
May 26, No school – Conference release day
May 29, No School – Memorial Day
June 2, Ice Cream Social
June 3, Native Plant Sale