Dear DuVall Families,
Happy New Year and welcome back!
Many thanks to everyone for the holiday wishes and gifts. Your generosity overwhelms me. It is very much appreciated and unnecessary.
I hope everyone had a wonderful and restful two weeks off. It’s important to rest, get healthy and re-energize for adults and kids. Coming back after a long break is exciting and almost like the first day of school. Our students will have stories to share and will miss sleeping in but will be glad to have structure and routine back. Please remember to check your children’s backpacks, sign their planners, ask them about their day, and read with them nightly.
Wednesday is our monthly PTA meeting. You are able to attend in person or on Zoom. Please do your best to attend so you are informed of what is happening at DuVall.
Please review the schedule below. There is no school Monday, January 16th and Early Dismissal on January 20th and 23d. Please mark your calendars.
This week’s notes:
- Reminder: Breakfast begins at 8:35. Students should not be arriving before that time. If you need to drop students off earlier than that please look into our Kid’s Club program.
- Indoor line-up, unless students are going to breakfast they do not enter the building until 8:50 because there is no supervision.
- Students should be bringing home reading bags or books every day. It is an expectation that they read every day, even on days off. Unless the teacher assigns something, specific reading should be for pleasure.
- Parents with young children, reading and listening to nursery rhymes is important to your child’s growth as a reader once they start school. Please make sure you are giving your children opportunities to learn these rhymes.
- I will be creating a schedule and ordering our books for the Parent Book Club soon. Look for information to be sent out in a week or so.
- Looking ahead: Our Ice Cream Social is our biggest fundraiser of the year. Classrooms will be collecting donations (monetary or items) aligned to their theme. Teachers will be giving information on their theme soon. Our PTA is also accepting donations to use as prizes, such prizes could be gift cards, themed baskets, and larger ticket prizes. In years past we have had Nintendo Switch, grills, camp chairs, memberships, lots of gift cards to local places, and more. If you have a connection to a local business that would be willing to donate an item to be used for a prize please let us know. Thank you
- On Tuesday, February 21st, 4:30-8:00 the Dearborn Education Foundation will be holding their annual Mardi Gras. We have individual tickets in the office for $25.00. There is also a ticket package for $50.00 (only available online). Both types of tickets can be purchased at: https://secure.qgiv.com/for/dpsef/event/854927/
- 5th grade instrumental students: remember your instruments on Monday (tomorrow).
Have a great week!
|Instrumental Music Class
K-3 Reading, NWEA window opens
|Nachos & Cheese
|8:00 Math Club, 4th Grade, Room 202
7:00 Board of Education Meeting
|8:15 Vivace Singers
3:55-4:45 4th Grade DuVall Depot
4:00-5:00 Butterfly & Garden Club
6:30 PTA Meeting, Media Center or Zoom
|Fish Patty Sandwich
|Sunbutter & Jelly
|8:00 Chess Club, Room 202
|Veggie Ranch Wrap
|Popcorn Day (Ross)
|Scrambled Eggs & Pancakes
|Cat in the Hat Strawberry Yogurt Parfait
January 16, No school – Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. Day
January 18: Pancake Dinner
January 20, Half day – All students a.m., dismissal 12:05; Teacher duty p.m.
January 23, Half Day – All students a.m., dismissal 12:05; Elementary teachers – Professional development day p.m.
January 25, Coffee with the Principal / Parent Education Meeting 9:00 in the Media Center, 6:00 Zoom (Topic: Discipline vs. Punishment)