Dear DuVall Families,
I hope this email finds you well. I wanted to take a few minutes to explain the circumstances behind a non-life threatening evacuation that occurred today, June 8, 2021, at DuVall around 1:30 pm.
I want to first thank all of our students, staff, and DuVall families for making today’s incident so smooth and seamless. Upon my directive to evacuate, the building was cleared in less than one minute. Upon further investigation, with the help of building operations, we deemed it safe to return to the rooms only to gather materials for dismissal. Students then engaged in learning outdoors while we waited for regular dismissal. All parties involved were safe, calm, collected, and cooperative. I have to share how successful this evacuation was because I know it is further proof that we are ready and able to face all situations here at DuVall; all centered around our students and their safety.
One of our teachers was using the microwave in the teacher’s lounge and the plastic within the microwave, as well as a silicone candy tray, ignited and melted. The small microwave fire went out when the microwave door was opened. Even though there were no active flames, the odor given off by the microwave was very strong and we decided to evacuate out of an abundance of caution. It was at that time that we decided to evacuate the building using the PA system and our well established fire evacuation protocols. The fire department did not need to report to the building but we contacted building operations to come and investigate the issue. With their guidance, we were provided additional steps to ensure the odor and fumes are removed from the building and we can assure the building will be safe for all of our DuVall students and staff to return to their regular building schedules tomorrow and for the remainder of the year.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. (313) 827-2750.
Mrs. Chrystal Osinski